Saturday 8 July 2017

Kids at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers

It's time for our new challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers  and the theme Edna has chosen for us this time is Kids.
 
Image may contain: 10 people, people standing and text
 
 
Today my card isn't particularly snarky but it did take me a long way out of my comfort zone, as it is the first time I have ever made a card that is completely created digitally - I used  Serif Craft Artist and  the wonderful Science Time bundle from Kate Hadfield designs.
 
 

The story behind this card is that I have made it for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. She loves all things scientific, and we've bought her a microscope for her present this year, so I wanted to make a card to go with it.

I'd already got to grips with importing, copying and resizing images, but I still had a lot to learn - first of all arranging the layers so that the images I wanted actually appeared at the front (at one stage I had the background in front and it took me ages to get it back to the back!), and then adding shadows to the girl and microscope to give the look of depth.

Even when I'd finished, I still wasn't 100% happy with the FLATNESS of it - I'm not used to making flat cards unless they are CAS one layer cards - so I printed the image a second time, fussy cut  the girl and microscope, and added them using a small layer of Pinflair glue to raise them off the card.

I would like to share this with
The Paper Shelter - Going Digital
Digi Choosday - Anything Goes

14 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Looks great to me! Jo x

Pamela said...

Welcome to the Craft Artist gang Jane! You've done a great job with the shadow tool - it really makes everything look as if it's 3D. There's a group on Facebook called Serif Craft Artist software - Beginners Club. It's not an official page but the members are just crafters sharing their knowledge.

Chris Dring said...

Wow! You know your way around editing software soooo much more than I do. This card is amazing, and your granddaughter is going to love it and the gift that goes with it!

DonnaMundinger said...

Fabulous card, Jane! I remember getting a microscope as a gift from my Dad about the same age and loved it. Great digital work, but I'm with you, they often seem quite flat. Love that you've fussy cut and popped another layer. xxD

cotnob said...

A super card Jane, I find it difficult not to add layers to my cards as well! You have included lots of fabulous scientific details - your granddaughter will love it.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Liz said...

Brilliant card, Jane, I'm sure your granddaughter will be thrilled with it. xx

Barbara Godden said...

Wow I wouldn't attempt anything like this, your card is fabulous!!!

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

That is a great card and I hope she loves her gift.

Cara said...

You go girl! You did a great job with the digital crafting, but I understand what you mean about the flatness. I get your grand-daughter loves it and your present of course x

Lindsey said...

This is an amazing all-digital creation! And I think it's good that you keep us on our toes by going unsnarky once in a while... ;)

Juls said...

This is really fun, thank you so much for sharing it with us at Digi chooseday crafty hugs Julia xx

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Look at you go with your computer skills! Now you should really appreciate the work I put into the Ednas. Great card for your science girl. Much better than a princess

Donna said...

WOW this is a super awesome card sistah!
Fab job!

Jane Savage said...

Wow what a brilliant card!
Thank you for joining us at Digi Choosday! Jane S (DT) xxx