Friday 3 March 2017

The communal payphone

If, like me, you were at University in the 1970s you might remember the communal payphone. Wall mounted and with a flat top to pile up your 10ps on, there was always a queue for it and if the girl on the phone was having a tearful row with her boyfriend and feeding in 10ps every time the pips went, you all had to try to be really interested in the notice board on the other side of the room. And nobody wanted to have the room nearest to the phone because there were so many incoming calls and whoever was nearest was expected to answer them and run to fetch  the intended recipient of the call.

However if you are either a sprightly young thing, not British, or didn't love away from home at the time then you won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

All of that came to mind the moment I saw this image from the DeeDee's Digis Vintage Media collection.


In keeping with the retro feel, I have teamed it with some very old Hot Off The Press papers, some of the last scraps from what was probably the very first kit that I bought when I first watched craft on QVC, about a zillion years ago. I coloured the image with Promarkers, but the green gas come out a bit blotchy. It was a brand new pen and I think maybe the ink hasn't distributed itself evenly yet, because I've never known that to happen with a Promarker before.

I am sharing this with

Inkspirational - Connect 


Watercooler Wednesday - sketch


Use Your Stuff - use any sketch (I've used the one shown above)

14 comments:

Darnell said...

What a trip down memory lane with your terrific card, Jane! I didn't go to university, only being able to afford a one-year secretarial course back in the late 60s, but I have seen in the movies that such phones were used in American dorms, too. University or not, everyone remembers your fun sediment, however, and that's what really made me chuckle today!! I wonder if the very young today say the same thing with their first boyfriend/girlfriend about who was going to hang up first? I guess they don't because no one uses their speaking voice anymore on the phone; they let their fingers do the talking. "You stop texting first." Hmm? Enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Darnell

Margarets designer cards said...

I never went to uni but I do remember tte phone boxes, I don't know what tge youngsters woukd fo today without their mobile phones,
Great card with lots of memories

missgailly said...

Love this phone and the green colouring makes it look vintage. Fun card! Thanks for playing along at Use Your Stuff - Gail

Heidi Weaver said...

Great use of Gail's sketch, Jane. I love that old phone, although none with which I came in contact had quite that colour. That background Designer Paper really adds to the vintage look, too. "No, you hang up first..." yeah, so hard not to be miffed if the other person did, indeed, hang up first. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Jane I agree what a great trip down memory lane. I didn't attend University either although I worked on and off doing conventions at UBC during the day, and yep they had that beautiful green phone mounted in the hall and there was always a line up. Great job with the retro paper and the sentiment (can remember saying that to my now husband of 48 years, when we were teens). Love it! Thanks for playing along with Gails WWC108 sketch challenge at the Watercooler Wednesday challenge blog this week!

Barb said...

I remember having to go out to the phone box to make a call in my youth. A lovely retro card Jane. Barbxx

Craftychris said...

Fab retro feel to this cool card! Love the colours and the papers are perfect! I remember the communal phone - mine was when I lived in a hostel in central London in the 1970's. xxx

Marina said...

Just perfect for our challenge and an unusual, fun and beautifully designed card. Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges.

Melanie R said...

Such a cute card! I remember having one of these on the kitchen wall. If my mother was in the kitchen, I would stretch the cord around the corner into the dining room so I could talk to my friends "in private." Our number was REpublic-5-3841!

Tammy L said...

I love this old school card! Not only was the concept old school, but you used some really old paper as well! The sentiment is great! Thanks for joining us at UYS and hope to see you again!
Tammy DT Co-ordinator

Anonymous said...

I am having a problem with Promarkers bought in the last 12 months - am looking to change brands!!

Heather Hopson said...

Nice card and for sure back memory lane for me. Thanks for joining and sharing your neat card on Watercooler Wednesday.

Gail said...

Love your story! I didn't go to university, but we had a wall-mounted phone in my home on the farm - and it was a party line. It was also boring black, not a fun colour like yours! Love the nostalgic feel of your card. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday!

libbystamps said...

Love this whimsical card! Super cute! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday! Come back soon!