Sunday 26 March 2017

Any Old Iron at CD Sundays

For our latest challenge at CD  Sundays, Jocelyn has chosen the theme Any Old Iron.


I've used a decoupage design from the CD  The Best of La Pashe 2012, showing an old chestnut seller with his iron stove. Do they still have chestnut  sellers in the winter? The last time I was one would have been in the late 1980s, he used to stand near the top of Tottenham Court Road in London but I've not been around that way for some years now. I've added a piece of musical background paper from the same CD, thinking of the old music hall song "Any old iron" and a die cut penny farthing bicycle for the chestnut seller to travel home on when he's sold all his wares. The vintage bicycle ribbon is a scrap from my stash and the text background paper from Craftwork Cards - it's replica pages from an old recipe book, although it probably pre-dates the image by about 150 years because it says things like "difh up the foup" and I think that died out long before Victorian times.

I am sharing this with
Watercooler Wednesday - Masculine Anything Goes

12 comments:

meg said...

Smashing image for the challenge Jane,love that you teamed it up with the penny farthing

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A fantastic card Jane, I love the die cut of the penny farthing that you've added.

Sue xx

Liz said...

Super vintage style card, Jane. I saw a chestnut seller a couple of years ago, from memory he was on Westminster bridge, so I guess a few of them are keeping up the tradition.

I smiled when I read your phrase 'The last time I was one would have been in the late 1980s,' . You're very young to have grandchildren. 😉 xx

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Jane, a super image and great vintage design.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Penny Hanuszak said...

What a super masculine card Jane. Very nostalgic. I really like the combination of papers, and die, and picture. Sets a wonderful scene. Thanks for joining us at the Watercooler Wednesday WWC11 Masculine Challenge this week. Great card!

Pamela said...

I love everything about this card Jane! I must admit I've never seen someone selling hot chestnuts.
Pamela
CD Sunday DT.

julie_woolston said...

Love this Jane with the vintage feel, fabulous design
Hugs Julie xxx

Marsha Reed said...

Wonderful card, Jane. I like the vintage look and all of the elements you've included. Thanks for joining us this week at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.

Margarets designer cards said...

Wonderful vintage image brings back thoughts of old days when this scene was common on the streets.
Wonderful card, love the penny farthing

Heather Hopson said...

What a beautiful Vintage card. Men will love this one. You have used so many elements to your card and it all works! Thank you for sharing your beautiful card with us and joining us at Watercooler Wednesday this week.
PS I live in the Okanagan valley in British Columbia, Canada and we have a Heritage Ranch "O'Keefe Ranch", built in 1867 and is a great place to visit to see all the Heritage items. One of the Winter Events is "Roasting Chestnuts", and they taste wonderful. The Kids just love this event.

Barb said...

I absolutely love this card Jane. A fantastic decoupaged image and I love all the distressed layers, that great ribbon and the penny farthing bike. Dish up the soup sounds good to me! Barbxx

Wynn said...

Great layout and image Jane. I saw a chestnut seller in the streets of Vienna when we visited Christmas 2015. Should have taken a photo!! The recipe pages sound intriguing....where are they from? Hugs Wynn x