Tuesday 21 March 2017

A Three-Pipe Problem

I couldn't resist these lovely wooden Sherlock Holmes themed buttons when I saw them at the Make It Show, and the current challenge at The Male Room, which is Wood, was the perfect opportunity to use them.


As well as his famous address and his deerstalker cap, Holmes was well known for his pipe and his violin (and for being an opium addict, but I really didn't have any suitable stash for that.... I suppose I could have stamped a few poppies!) which I have stamped randomly over the card. The pipe isn't the kind he would have used then, but it was the nearest I could find among my stamps.

I had in mind this snippet of paper from the docrafts Heritage Press collection as a backing panel for the buttons, but when I arranged them on it they didn't stand out well enough, so I found a snippet of dark blue wider than the check, and arranged them up the side of it. This time they seemed too disjointed from the check, so I experimented and finally decided to have them slightly overlapping the check, but enough on the blue to show them off properly.

A couple of sentiments and the pipe embellishment also came from the Heritage Press collection. I've had this set for several years and am now right down to the beam ends of it. I find it incredibly useful for masculine cards and will probably replace most of the elements when they are finally used up.

I'm also popping into the Snippets Playground with this card.

9 comments:

scrappymo! said...

This looks great, Jane. I got the Sherlock connection right away and think this is a fabulous masculine card!

Di said...

Wow, brilliant card Jane! You really did capture the Sherlock theme perfectly too. Love it!

The dandelion story was actually new to me until a few years ago - it's very apt isn't it. You would understand for sure.

Hugs

Di xx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous masculine card great design and layout and love all the Sherlock Holmes stamps -great buttons
Carol x

Barb said...

What a great card this is. Great masculine card but I have a friend who is a huge Sherlock fan and she,d love this. I love the stamped background and the buttons are lovely. Barbxx

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Oooo, I so adore the Sherlock themed card, great detailing Jane.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Jane said...

Love the Sherlock inspired elements, fabulous card. Thanks for playing at The Male Room.

Sarn said...

Fantastic Sherlock Holmes themed card. Elementary my Dear Jane! Now get your coat, there's not a moment to lose! (Fave lines!)

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Andreja said...

This card is so beautiful :-)) I like all your wood embelishments.
I am so glad you played along with us at Male Room. Hugs, Andreja

Deborah Frings said...

Be still my heart! I absolutely love the theme of your card and those little wooden tiles are just fab! I particularly like the deerstalker hat! Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with our Wood stash challenge at The Male Room. Deborah, DT.