Thursday 10 March 2016

Bacon, broad bean and sweetcorn sauce

I'm home - have you missed me? I've been away visiting my Mum for a few days. She's almost 90 and housebound so I had a very busy time - incidentally I gave her the mixed media box that I recently posted about, crammed with Cadbury's Mini Eggs, it made her VERY happy! Anyway, I got home yesterday evening after a 5 hour drive through some atrocious weather, and as Mark had also been away on business, we came home to an empty fridge and two rumbling tummies. I needed to cobble together something quick, easy, warming and comforting that we could enjoy in front of the TV while catching up with each other's news.

Rummaging around the cupboards and fridge, I found:

1 onion
6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
100g frozen broad beans
1 tin of creamed sweetcorn
1 pack of potato gnocchi
50g strong cheddar cheese

I also used a pinch of dried chilli flakes, 1 tbs double cream and 1 tsp cornflour, blended with a little water.

To make the sauce, finely chop the bacon and onion then fry together over medium heat until the bacon is cooked and the onions soft and golden- you don't need to add any fat as the fat that runs out of the bacon will cook the onions. Stir in the broad beans, chilli flakes and sweetcorn and simmer gently for a few minutes, while cooking the gnocchi as directed on the pack.


When the gnocchi is ready, add the cream and the cornflour mixture and stir until thickened, then stir in the cheese until melted. Spoon the sauce over the gnocchi and serve


The sauce would also be great with pasta or rice.

I am sharing this with Kitchen Clearout at Madhouse Family Reviews



3 comments:

Cheryl Pasquier said...

I can imagine what Mark said it looked like .... but I bet it tasted fab ! Definitely a #KitchenClearout recipe par excellence ! :)

Jane Willis said...

Yes, Mark DID say exactly that! But bacon and broad beans is one of his favourite combinations so he soon forgave the appearance

Galina Varese said...

Great sauce for gnocchi. I don't often cook with broad beans, as my guys are not very keen on them, such a shame.