Tuesday 14 October 2014

Super Simple Smoked Mackerel Paté

I would normally have used lemon juice rather than lime in this, but I ran out of lemons and there was half a lime in the fridge, and it worked beautifully, in fact I'm going to stick to lime from now on.

This is one of those ultra quick dishes where the reward-to-effort ratio is weighted heavily in your favour. And it can be prepared well in advance, in fact it benefits from a couple of hours in the fridge but make sure you cover it tightly to avoid the smell being picked up by other foods. Fish paté that tastes of fish is lovely - strawberries that taste of fish are rather less appetising!

Ingredients - serves 4 as a starter or light lunch

250g pack smoked mackerel fillets
180g pack of full fat cream cheese such as Philadelphia
2 tbs double cream
2 tsp creamed horseradish
juice of half a lime

Simply put all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and whizz until smooth, then fill a pot or individual ramekins and chill until required.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore smoked mackerel pate... love the addition of horse radish here, that sounds amazing. I love this, want it now for tea!

Liz said...

I make this regularly as it's so easy to make. I've not tried it with cream though and I always use lemon. I will give it a try with lime next time. I made some last weekend and we finished it off yesterday. Delicious!