Tuesday 7 January 2014

Ham and Leek flan

Our New Year's Eve ham yielded several more meals, as I mentioned on Monday  one of which was a ham and leek flan.



I put this together from an 18cm pre-baked  shortcrust flan case (I make shortcrust in batches and freeze one or two flan cases so there's always one to hand they are such a useful basis for a clear-the-fridge meal), left over ham, one lonely leek, some Parmesan saved when I'd grated too much for the previous night's pasta and eggs, milk and a little butter. Apart from the eggs and milk, the quantities are just "whatever you have"!

Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas mark 4, 350 F.

First of all, slice the leek very thinly, wash and dry it then fry slowly in a small knob of butter until very soft. While it is cooking, dice enough left over cooked ham to cover the base of the flan case  into pieces, about 5 mm cubes, and scatter it over the base.

Spread  the cooked leeks over the ham.

 
Beat together eggs and milk with seasoning. For an 18cm flan case, you will need 2 eggs and 150ml milk. Pour carefully into the flan case.


Sprinkle over the cheese - I happened to have about 2 tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan but  Cheddar, Emmenthal, Stilton - whatever you have in the fridge that will grate or crumble - would work. Leeks LOVE cheese!



Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes, until the custard is set and the cheese browned.


I like to cool it slightly before eating, and eat it lukewarm. I served it with a little green salad and a "remoulade-ish" dish of grated celeriac and carrot dressed with a mixture of 3 parts mayonnaise to 1 part Dijon mustard and a squeeze of lemon juice.


Most of the ingredients used in this meal were odds and ends from the fridge that were left over from the Christmas and New Year gluttonyfest, so I'm joining in with the No Waste Food Challenge at Elizabeth's Kitchen and because I've added leeks to the flan and made the celeriac salad a feature of the meal, I reckon it's a double whammy for the new Extra Veg challenge at Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy


 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I always make a ham at New Year's too, but I save the leftovers to slice and fry with a poached egg sometime later on in the year. This sounds like a great way to use up the leftovers too! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!