Wednesday 21 August 2013

Use it Tuesday - an uninked stamp

I was invited to be a guest designer for this challenge at Use it Tuesday but sadly I ended up in hospital and didn't have time to get my project ready in time.  I do hope I'll be invited back for a future challenge, especially as I have a rather scary number of stamps that have never seen ink!

Anyway, I'm well now, and have had a lovely holiday to help me to recuperate, and have just had time to make a quick card for the current challenge. The stamps are from a Woodware set of Clarice Cliff inspired designs. I bought the set when I thought I might get back into glass painting, as they would be perfect stamped on acetate then painted with glass paints, but I found that all my glass paints had dried up so the stamps got pushed in a box  and forgotten.

However I thought I'd try using the cottage design for a faux-marquetry effect, stamping it onto wood grain effect paper then colouring it in in different shades of brown to simulate different wood veneers.

With hindsight, a lighter colour of wood grain paper would have been better (if I'd had one) and maybe stamping and embossing the image in black rather than gold. I covered the image in clear plastic, to look as if the wood had been varnished. This looks fine in real life, but the flash from the camera has made the adhesive sparkle in places. Oh, and we won't mention the wonky corner, will we?

Overall, "more work needed" but it's wonderful to be crafting again after my enforced break!

No comments: