Monday 13 May 2013

Meal Planning Monday - May 13th

I really must get around to using up the various packets and spice blends that I buy on impulse and never use! I'm going to devote a week to it, but it won't be this week, because this week is Fresh Week when Tefal would like us all to cook from scratch - and by pledging to do so we could win a Tefal Fresh Express and a Riverford veg box. Cooking from scratch is no hardship to us, that's the way we always do it, with the exception of staples like tins of tomatoes and chickpeas, but how typical that it should crop up on a week when I'd been thinking of clearing out all the convenience foods cluttering the cupboard. Oh well, it gives me time to make some proper plans to use them next week.

A little feedback on last week -  Wednesday's cottage pie didn't end up with a swede crust because the swede, which looked perfectly sound from the outside, was completely black inside, so it was back to good old spuds instead. The star of the plan was Friday's meal  which would have been a perfect summer meal, if we'd just had some summer to go with it!


Right, cracking on with this week's plan.


Monday we have some gammon left over from last night so I'm going to make it into a sauce for pasta, with mushrooms and tomatoes.
Tuesday the onions in the supermarket last week were really grotty, except for those in huge sacks, so I bought  a sack. They work out a lot cheaper than loose ones - about a third of the price - but of course only if they are all used, so tonight I'm going to make an onion tart
Wednesday I keep threatening to make Nigel Slater's Pork with Cannelini beans but it always gets bumped. This week I reckon it's actually going to get made!
Thursday Baked potatoes with Spicy Dhal - recipe in the June BBC Good Food magazine
Friday Venison steaks with celeriac mash and whatever veg we have left
Saturday I'll be out all day and looking forward to whatever Mark cooks for dinner
Sunday Roast goose breast  - I'll probably make some apple sauce to go with it but haven't decided on the other accompaniments yet.

 What are YOU eating this week? Why not pop over to At Home With Mrs M and share a link to your plans?

4 comments:

Ffi said...

Please do tell me what I should do with the harissa and other random things in my fridge!

Love the meal plan, can I come over for the venison and goose

BNM

Kim Carberry said...

Ohhh everything sounds amazing!!
Have a great week!

Jane Willis said...

My fridge tends to fill up with random things too. Those "tried it once, didn't like it enough to use it again but didn't dislike it enough to throw it away" things! But one thing that doesn't hang around for too long is harissa. Any spicy North African stew calls out for it, but it has other uses too. Stirred into crème fraiche it makes a great dip for veg or flatbreads. But best of all is to rub it between the skin and flesh of a chicken, then roast the chicken on a bed of sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and butternut squash. Remove and carve the chicken, and stir a tin of chopped tomatoes into the roast veg and pop them back into the oven to reheat while you carve the chicken. Delicious!

Foodie Quine said...

You MUST make the pork and cannelini beans its soooo good. Love the look of your Friday night feast from last week.