Thursday 3 May 2012

Baking without sugar

This time last year I was diagnosed as diabetic. For the first few weeks I was deluged with information about diet and lifestyle, and found out that it was still OK to eat some  products containing sugar as long as I took into account the overall balance, what I ate when, the GI value of the meal...... it just sounded so complicated that I decided it was simpler just to give up refined sugar and products contaning it completely!  I don't have a very sweet tooth, and I needed to lose some weight, so it wasn't too difficult.

Although I love baking, I didn't really want to bake things that I couldn't eat, so I gave up baking too. However that changed a week or two back when I won six bottles of a product called Sweet Freedom, a plant-based syrup with a low GI value and 25% fewer calories than sugar. It came with a recipe booklet so I immediately set to to bake some flapjack and some nut cookies. Here are the results:




And the taste verdict? I found them rather too sweet! I seem to have completely lost my sweet tooth. But my husband and mother, both confirmed biscuit-lovers, both loved them. I will definitely be using it again whenever a situation calls for cake!

1 comment:

Ren Behan said...

These look lovely, Jane and you never know, in the future, this would make for a great blog event for us all to join in with - the No Sugar Challenge! Ren x